Markets Still Wary After EU Deal

Monday, December 12, 2011


A European summit deal to strengthen budget discipline in the euro zone failed to restore financial market confidence on Monday, forcing the European Central Bank to step in again gingerly.

The euro fell, stocks slid and borrowing costs for Italy and Spain rose as investors weighed the outcome of last week's summit that split the European Union, with Britain blocking treaty change and forcing euro zone countries to negotiate a fiscal accord outside the Union.
WORLDWIDE WOES: Unemployment Is The Globe's Fastest Rising Concern
Tax Evasion Costing The World Trillions
MF Global Executives: We Don't Know Where The Money Is Either
Majority Of Americans Would Blow The Whistle: Poll
Blackwater Name Change: Private Security Firm Switches Name Again To Academi From Xe
BLOG POSTS
Dean Baker: Economic Conflicts With China and Class War in the United States
The debate over China is often buried in confusion, leading to a situation that is not conducive to effective action. A major reason for this confusion is that there is not a common U.S. interest against China.
Josh Fleet: Rediscovering Religious Values in the Market Economy
The time has come for us to recover the Judeo-Christian ethic of human dignity in the image of God. Humanity was not created to serve markets. Markets were created to serve humankind.
Ian Fletcher: Why Is the American Left So Ineffective in Economics?
There's a very narrow sweet spot of disciplined radicalism that neither sells out nor indulges economic solutions that are non-starters. Staying in this sweet spot takes a lot of self-discipline, and since the 1960s, this has not exactly been a leftist virtue.
Bernie Glassman: Arising to the Interconnectedness of Life? A Buddhist Perspective on the Occupy Movement
When I see everything, including the social system, as myself, I take actions to reduce suffering. I heal the system as healing myself, not fixing someone else who is to blame for all the problems.
Kevin O'Leary: How to Win in Business Negotiations: Never Forget, It's All About the Money
My time is my most precious resource (time is money, after all), so I go to great lengths to protect it. Waste my time and I'll send you an invoice. I need to know what YOU want within the first minute; otherwise, I'm on to the next thing.
Advertisement

Comments